Server issue

Have a problem? Let me know!
AlexBueno
Site Admin

Server issue

Post by AlexBueno » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:29 pm

Hi there!

Something is wrong with the server. Two days ago it went down for no reason and wasn't starting up again.

Yesterday I went to the office and it came back to live for no reason, once more.

But since it came back it f*cking slow! I can barely connect via SSH to it...

So, you'll notice some big instabilities for the next days and I'll probably will buy (help me if you can) a SSD to replace old SATA2 Samsung 500GB hard drives.

It means I'll need to reinstall the whole operating system from scratch, restore database, web server configs... Might take a while!

I'll keep you posted.

Cya!

AlexBueno
Site Admin

Re: Server issue

Post by AlexBueno » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:33 pm

Hi!

I got the server home today to check and replace old HDs for SSD, but since SSD haven't arrived yet, I started up the server anyway to see what's going on.

The city I live has a high humidity level and it's quite common to screw memory cooper contacts. Even before starting up the server, I took memories off and cleaned.

Guess what? Server is back already!

But I've never seen this situation happening so fast, so I'm blaming the exhaust cooler that stopped working by end of April. Who knows?

Anyway, since I bought the SSD I'm still planning to replace. One of my friends wants to buy it, but I'm a little bit afraid of this 10 years old Samsung HDDs.

Keep you posted!